Austin Elite’s Marcus Walsh Named Player of the Week
The Glendale Raptors were named the Major League Rugby Team of the Week the league announced today. The Raptors have jumped out to a perfect 4-0 start after a 31-27 win against the San Diego Legion.
Facing a 21-10 deficit in the second half, Glendale used strong defensive pressure paired with timely stops to swing the momentum of the match. Down three with under 10 minutes to play, Raptors’ flanker Zach Fenoglio finished off a sequence of phase play with a try and the ensuing conversion proved to be enough for Glendale.
Austin’s Marcus Walsh garnered Player of the Week honors. Despite a 41-22 loss at the hands of the Utah Warriors, Walsh’s efforts gave the Elite a fighting chance in a rainy affair. Down 15-0, Walsh capped off an impressive offensive possession for Austin’s first try of the match. The srcum-half’s second try of the match pulled the Elite within five late in the second half during their attempted rally.
MLR also announced the First XV:
1. Loosehead Prop, Blake Rogers, Glendale Raptors
2. Hooker, Pat Blair, San Diego Legion
3. Tighthead Prop, Dolph Botha, San Diego Legion
4. Left Lock, Matt Jensen, Utah Warriors
5. Right Lock, Victor Comptat, Austin Elite
6. Blindside Flanker, Zach Fenoglio, Glendale Raptors
7. Openside Flanker, Matt Hughston, NOLA Gold
8. No 8., Sam Figg, Glendale Raptors
9. Scrum-half, Nick Boyer, San Diego Legion
10. Fly-half, Will Magie, Glendale Raptors
11. Blindside Wing, Seth Halliman, Glendale Raptors
12. Inside Center, Paul Lasike, Utah Warriors
13. Outside Center, William Rasileka, Seattle Seawolves
14. Openside Wing, Josh Anderson, Utah Warriors
15. Fullback, Dylan Audsley, San Diego Legion
For more news and notes from Week 4, visit usmlr.com.
2018 MLR Weekly Honors
Team of the Week: Seattle Seawolves
Player of the Week: Phil Mack
Team of the Week: San Diego Legion
Player of the Week: Zach Fenoglio
Team of the Week: Austin Elite
Player of the Week: Anthony Salaber